I simultaneously cannot believe that it is almost May, and I feel like it has been April for forever. I also cannot believe the amount of books that I read in April. I do not know how I found the time to do it.
I read a total of 12 books in April! I didn’t hit every book on my tbr, but I did lots that weren’t on it, and I managed to clear some books off of my NetGalley shelf. However, I didn’t do great on diversity this month; only 4 of the 12 books I read were by authors of color. My goal for this year is for 40% of the books I read to be by authors of color (last year it was about 30%), and I’m currently at 39%. So I’m not too far off, but I am being very conscious of whose work I am consuming.
I had a lot of really good reads in April, my favorites being The Dead and the Dark by Courtney Gould, The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, which I just finished yesterday. I will leave a full list of what I read under the cut!
- The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (re-read) – ★★★★★
- Indigo by Beverly Jenkins – ★★★ (leaning a little lower)
- Down Comes the Night by Alison Saft – ★★★★
- Shipped by Angie Hockman – ★★★
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett – ★★★
- Plot Twist by Bethany Turner – ★★
- The Dead and the Dark by Courtney Gould – ★★★★★
- Little Gods by Meng Jin – ★★★
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia – ★★★★
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett – ★★★★★
- If This Gets Out by Sophie Gonzales and Cale Dietrich – ★★★★
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel – ★★★★ (leaning upwards)
Are there any of these books that you would love to see a review on the blog for? Let me know! I will definitely be reviewing The Dead and the Dark and If This Gets Out closer to their release dates.
I know I didn’t get any other post up this week, hopefully I will get something up next week.
Have a lovely day!