I don’t know about you, but I love reading books in the summer. It is one of my favorite seasons to read in (although who am I kidding? I like reading in all seasons). I just love sitting outside in the sun devouring a good book! It also happens to be one of the times of year where I have the most free time in which I am available to read. Thus, I have so many books that I am hoping to get through this summer. I was writing up my June tbr the other night, and I just got so excited about all the books I am hoping to read all summer long that I wanted to share – which is how this post came to be.
I do want to make it clear, this is not a recommendation list of “hot girl books;” which as far as I can tell means short litfic featuring women (although some books on this list do fit that category and I could probably do a post with those recommendations if people are interested?? drop your thoughts below). This is literally just my tbr list for the summer. However, I am hot and I am a girl (ish) and I am determined to be in my hot girl summer era so I feel justified in using this title.
Instead, this list has a large amalgamation of the many different books I am hoping to read this summer, including new books like The Cartographers and A Marvellous Light, classics like Great Expectations, nonfiction, litfic, romance, and just a backlog of books that I have on my kindle and have been meaning to read for forever. As such, I have attempted to group books together in a way that makes sense to me but unfortunately probably to no one else. But you can have some insight into my weird mind and how I plan my tbrs.
Books for book clubs
- The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd (for teatimelit’s book club)
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (for beautiful world book club)
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (also for beautiful world book club)
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (buddy reading with a couple of my friends)
Books in my kindle backlog
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley
- The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (recommended to me by my friend Emma last summer but I still have yet to read it. Sorry, Emma)
- Know my Name by Chanel Miller
- Read Between the Lines by Rachel Lacey
ARCs I need to read
- Queerly Beloved by Susie Dumond
- Much Ado About Dukes by Eva Devon (I read the first book in this series last year and liked it, and the title’s allusion to much ado caused me to request it on netgalley)
- Never Ever Getting Back Together by Sophie Gonzales (SO excited about this one)
- I’m the Girl by Courtney Summers
Books I have checked out or on hold from my library (a long list)
- The Heartbreak Bakery by A. R. Capetta
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- Pizza Girl by Jean Kyoung Frazier (I think this one probably constitutes an actual “hot girl summer” book)
- The Verifiers by Jane Pek (Hoping I can start and finish before my loan is up or else I can check it out again)
- Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead by Emily Austin (also an actual hot girl summer book)
- A Marvellous Light by Freya Marske
- Delilah Green Doesn’t Care by Ashley Herring Blake
- Winter in Sokcho by Elisa Shua Dusapin (because reading a book with winter in the title in the middle of summer is fun)
- Finlay Donovan is Killing It by Elle Cosimano
- All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir (SO excited about this one)
- The Lesbiana’s Guide to Catholic School by Sonora Reyes
- You Made a Fool of Death with Your Beauty by Akwaeke Emezi
The One Physical Book I Brought With Me This Summer
- Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens by Jane Dunn
I bought this book about 5 years ago and still haven’t read it, and I only had room in my suitcase this summer for one physical book, and I decided to bring this one as my project.
This is a ridiculously ambitious tbr, especially for me, a person who Does Not Stick to Tbrs. However, these are all books I am really excited about, so hopefully I can relatively stick to it!
What does your summer tbr look like? Are there any books you are particularly excited about? Share in the comments – I would love to hear about what you are going to dig into this summer. Until next time, have a lovely day!